Wednesday 18 July 2012

Review: BOXER - Undertow

BOXER
Undertow

“Been digging this grave for 20 years now…”

I’m a sucker for melodic hardcore records. Always have been, can’t imagine that’ll change soon. And frankly, if you’re like me, this is not a bad time to be a fan of the genre. Bands like Title Fight, Such Gold & their ilk have taken up the mantle admirably. The last few years have been an embarrassment of riches for dudes like me who like their punk records fast and loose and catchy and featuring vocals delivered with reckless abandon.

If I have one problem with all this, it’s separating the wheat from the chaff. There’s just so much of this stuff out there right now that it gets tough to zero in on what’s special and what can be skipped.

BOXER, representing Richmond, VA, have an EP that displays the potential to put them squarely in the first category. While there is definitely room to grow here, when they connect, they hit hard.

The opening track, Anagram, balances the balls out, dual vocal, speediness of the first Title Fight records with what I’ve always described as “the slow, pretty parts.” This is definitely the choice cut here, though I would like to give a shout out to the speed and brevity of 20/20. That’s good shit, too.

This same momentum is maintained throughout the remaining songs here. The whole thing wraps itself up in about 10 minutes with my second favorite song on this thing, Medicine Cabinet.

Overall, BOXER have delivered a solid EP. The best thing about this is the fact that they can only go up from here. There aren’t a ton of things that I like more than a first release that shows potential.

This is a band that I will be looking forward to hearing more from.

Thumbs Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment