Monday 5 November 2012

Review: Code Orange Kids - Love is Love // Return to Dust



Code Orange Kids
Love is Love // Return to Dust

Tracklisting:
1.  Flowermouth (The Leech)
2.  Around My Neck // On My Head
3.  Sleep (I've Been Slipping)
4.  Liars // Trudge
5.  Colors (Into Nothing)
6.  Nothing (The Rat)
7.  Roots Are Certain (Sky Is Empty)
8.  Choices (Love Is Love)
9.  Calm // Breathe
10. Bloom (Return To Dust)


When I attended This is Hardcore 2012 I knew that Code Orange Kids were playing, but to be honest I wasn’t particularly looking forward to their set.  I was tangentially aware of the group, especially since their signing to Deathwish Inc. had been announced long before, but was put off by simple things like the band’s name, aesthetic, etc.  Are those stupid reasons to not check out a band?  Sure.  But what can I say; sometimes I’m lazy and try to wade through the sea of up-and-coming bands by less than perfect means.

So going into TIH I was expecting a quick and unremarkable early day set from these too-young-to-drink-in-America looking kids, but was blown away as soon as they hit the stage.  This group was tight, loud, chaotic, and brought an intensity to the show that sent me running for the merch table to pick up both of their 7”s and the cassette they had for sale.  In short, I was completely wrong about Code Orange Kids and has now kicking myself about missing out on these guys/gal for as long as I had.

The only question that remained was whether they could put together a full album that would match the quality of output their 7”s and live performance promised.  Unfortunately, a full length LP can often spell doom for hardcore bands, who are able to string together 5-10 minutes of intense music, but fall apart, get overly-artsy, sound boring, etc. when it comes to a lengthier release.

Luckily, Code Orange Kids don’t fall prey to the LP-curse.  Love is Love // Return to Dust completely delivers!  Songs like “Flowermouth (The Leech)”, “Nothing (The Rat)” and “Roots and Certain // Sky is Empty” stand out as punishingly heavy tracks, but still offer enough variety and dynamics to not seem monotonous or overly repetitive.  There is no shortage of memorable riffs, crushing bass lines, and sludgy breakdowns, and the group also delivers on several more atmospheric tracks (although these tend to drag a little in places, but not enough to detract from the album as a whole). 

So be smarter than me and get into Code Orange Kids as soon as possible.  Definitely check out their earlier output, but Love is Love // Return to Dust will deliver the destructive, doomy, down-tuned art-rock/hardcore that I know you are craving.

It’s not available to buy just yet, but when it is you can get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment