Wednesday 17 April 2013

Review: Philip H. Anselmo/Warbeast - War of the Gargantuas Split EP

Philip H. Anselmo/Warbeast

War of the Gargantuas Split EP



Despite my inability to get into the last Down release, I truly love Phil Anselmo.  Is he batshit crazy?  Ya, probably.  Is he a joke or what he once was?  I don’t think so, but that might be just wishful thinking.  Is he still capable of putting out crushingly heavy music?  Without a fucking doubt. What proof do I have?  Philip H. Anselmo/Warbeast – War of the Gargantuas Split EP.  Will this be the last question answer set? Yes.

Although Down has been putting out music at a steady peace for the last few years, I still desperately the shreaking/desperate/murderous Phil vocals ala “Suicide note Pt. 1” and “Sandblasted Skin”.  While I guess you could say some of that was available with Superjoint Ritual and Arson Anthem, it’s good to finally hear him doing some heavier, metal-based stuff.  Apparently this is a precursor to a proper solo full-length (with his band The Illegals) ...which I’m now stoked to hear!

As for the other band, Warbeast, I’m thoroughly impressed.  Before this release I had heard of them, knew they were from Texas, and had been around a while, but I had never checked them out before....and shame on me for that.  They are extreme, sludgy, and fucking rip.  If you haven’t checked them out yet, do yourself a favour and pick up this release.
In short, I was pleasantly surprised by Warbeast and finally realized how much I love and miss Phil-fronted metal.  It’s only 4 songs, but these are 4 songs worth checking out.

Philcore for Philcore.

Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment